Aug 18, 2012

Sixteen Candles

Hat: Etsy, top: TJ Maxx, shorts: vintage, socks: Target, shoes: thrifted



So I'm finally 16, but I don't feel any different! Maybe it's because I'm mentally 65, who knows. I used my birthday as an excuse to listen to all the great "sixteen songs" (Sixteen Candles by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, Sweet Little Sixteen by Chuck Berry, etc). Teenagers (girls at least) always make a big deal about being 16 and throw extravagant parties with lots of people they don't care about it, but it's just a number. What makes 16 so special? Maybe I'll find out one day there's a special meaning behind the number itself and it's a way deeper meaning than what people think. Or maybe it's just an excuse to throw a big dumb party and get gifts from people who only came for the free food. 

All this sixteen talk makes me think of the John Hughes masterpiece Sixteen Candles. Luckily no one forgot my birthday, and a freshman didn't take my panties and make other freshman pay money to see them. Unfortunately there was no Jake Ryan, but that's okay you can't have everything. 

sixteen_candles_1984

black & white would just capture the moment

Sixteen Candles 4:7   Sixteen Candles 6:7
(Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4)

Wouldn't it be great if high school was like a John Hughes film? I remember when I was in junior high I really expected high school to be just like a Hughes film. Obviously I was wrong (sorry if this ruined your hopes for high school it you haven't gone yet), but it's not as bad as some people make it. A lot of people I know get anxiety or depressed right before school starts because they're dreading it, but I'm sort of anxious for it to start (I'll probably be complaining in a month). But why not make the best of it? You're stuck there anyways (unless you're home-schooled.Which doesn't seem like a bad idea). 

There are too many people I know who feel like they can't wear what they want because of what other people think. I understand that getting made fun of isn't much fun (no fun at all, actually) and I get picked on so much because of the way I dress (my favorite one was "I didn't know the circus was in town"). My secret is: Don't listen to them!! If you learn to ignore them you can then wear whatever makes you happy and not be concerned what makes other people happy. It doesn't feel good to be bullied, but who cares what other people think? The answer should be:  not you. Instead of letting what people say get to you, write them down in a journal. Maybe John Hughes will one day find your journal and make a movie about your high school life. Then everyone who bullied you will go see the movie and so on and so forth. And besides, dressing (and being) unique makes high school more interesting. Besides, when you get out of high school you'll meet people that dress "weird" and who knows, they might become your best friend. 
Wish me luck. Hopefully this school year will be a good one!

1. Goo Goo Muck - The Cramps
2. I'm Not Like Everybody Else - The Kinks
3. She's so Fine - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
4. Dedicated Follower of Fashion - The Kinks
5. Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
6. Sticks and Stones - The Zombies
7. Dandy in the Underworld - T. Rex
8. All Dressed up for School - The Beach Boys
9. White Tennis Sneakers - Jan & Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment

♡All comments are read & loved. Thank you so much for dropping by!♡